The Flagship LE may be on hold for the moment, but Douglas Kim of Manchester Watch Works has been busy preparing for round two. This time, with a quartz diver's watch. The TatoskoQ is now in prototype production phase, and available for the first of two limited pre-order phases. Early birds may order one of the first 100 units for $190 until August 31. Once the protoypes have been recieved, a second round will be made available at a higher price. Only 300 will be produced. Doug promises that even at full MSRP, the price will remain competitive.
The TatoskoQ is named for Tatoskok, a water beast of Native American Abenaki mythology, that was said to live in chilly New England waters of Lake Champlain, Vermont. Like the beast, the watch will be a water creature, resistant to 200 meters with a 120 click uniderectional bezel and a swallow-tail marker at 12 o'clock styled after the "diver down" flag. At 42mm wide and 11mm thick, it will be less of a beast than its namesake, but a comfortable size for a dive watch. Other features incluse a screw-down crown, decorated case back, C3 lume, and a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. A Swiss Ronda 715Li quartz runs the show. The watch may ordered with or without a date window.
From the initial renders, it seems like a solid design. I like the 7mm knurled crown at 4 o'clock, fat arrow hands, and red maker on the bezel. I am quite curious to see the "black sand" dial. I can can only recall seeing this texture on on certain Avi-8 models, and it works rather well. The watch will come on both a perforated rubber strap and striped nylon NATO of Doug's own design.
I like the looks and the specs of the TatoskoQ, even if I have trouble pronouncing it. Of course, any crowd funded venture has its risks, particularly when you are buying at a pre- pre-production phase. Things may change or the project may fail to fund. I can't predict its success, but I wish Doug and the TatoskoQ well.
If you would like to be one of the first to lay claim to a TatoskoQ, you can send your payment directly (US shipping free, add $30 for international), your choice of date or no date, and your contact information to ManchesterWatchWorks via Paypal at MWW802@gmail.com. A confirmation email will be sent once payment is received. You can also place your early bird order through the Manchester Watch Works Facebook page.
- 42.5mm 316L polished stainless steel case
- 47mm lug to lug
- 11mm in height
- 20 ATM/200 M water resistance
- 22mm drilled lugs
- Swiss Ronda 715Li quartz movement with a 10-year battery life
- Textured black sand-like dial with C3 lumed raised markers and a 12:00 marker inspired by the American diver down flag
- 43mm knurled unidirectional 120 click bezel
- Aluminum bezel insert with C3 lume at 12:00 and a swallow-tail12:00 marker inspired by the international diver down flag
- C3 lumed arrow hands with red-tipped seconds hand
- 7mm knurled engraved 4:00screw-down crown
- Flat sapphire crystal with inner anti-reflective coating
- Engraved screwed down caseback
- Dial with or without a date window
- Black PU strap with engraved buckle
- MWW custom designed nato strap with engraved buckle
- Special early bird price of $190 USD which includes shipping in the USA (international shipping please add $30 USD).
- Ends when 100 orders are placed or by August 31, 2014, whichever comes first.
- Estimated delivery by January 2015.
- 300 Limited Edition run.
- One year warranty against manufacturing defects.